Monthly Giving - Frequently Asked Questions
When will my donation be deducted?
a) If you sign up through the phone or with one of our fundraisers, you will be able to choose to have your monthly gifts (donations) given to UNICEF on either the 1st* or 15th* of each month.
*your statements will show that your gifts are transacted on or around the 1st or 15th of each month due to holidays or weekends when those transaction dates are applied.
b) If giving online, your gifts will be transacted to your credit or bank account on the same day each month. For example, if you choose to make a monthly donation of $50 today, your next donation of $50 will be automatically charged to your account in exactly one month to the day, and each subsequent month thereafter.
Will I receive a receipt?
At the end of each calendar year you will receive a single tax receipt for your annual donations. Receipts are normally sent closer to the end of February / beginning of March each year. You can ask to receive your receipts by e-mail or by regular mail. Unless, specifically requested, we will send your annual tax receipt by mail.
If you have not received your tax receipt, please contact us by phone at 1-888-923-KIND (5463) or by email at email@example.com. We can either mail you a hardcopy or send you an e-receipt.
Can I choose or direct my monthly donations to specific projects or countries?
As a Monthly Donor, your donations along with other monthly donors are combined to provide the support where the need is the greatest. Monthly donors support long-term programs that provide essential support to improve the lives of all children. Because UNICEF focuses on helping as many children as possible, you can trust that your donations are going to where the need is greatest each and every month.
Why is it better to become a Monthly Donor than to give a one-time donation to UNICEF?
We count on your monthly donation to be able to plan ahead and continue to provide support to children in need all around the world. When you sign up to become a monthly donor, you enable us to:
- More effectively plan our upcoming work, knowing that we have the funds ready to invest in long-term solutions and make a lasting impact for children
- Have extra supplies ready in areas where emergencies are likely to occur because of climate conditions or political instability
- Respond to children’s needs wherever it is most urgently required at the time. You might also find that a smaller monthly donation can be less of a burden on your budget than a larger one-time gift.
What are the ways I can make my monthly donation?
You can make your monthly donation by credit card or directly through your bank account.
How can I update my contact and payment details?
To change any of your details, including updating your credit card or address, please contact us directly at 1-888-923-5463 or through email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How much of my donation is spent on UNICEF’s program work for children?
Everything we do at UNICEF is done with the world’s children in mind first.
For every dollar donated by the Canadian public in 2014:
- 71 cents went directly to programs that support children, including long-term development and responding to emergencies * 10 cents (of the 71 cents) was used domestically – for Canadian programs.
- 22 cents covered the cost of developing and retaining our supporter base, and helped UNICEF Canada attract donors to fund life-saving programs for children
- Only 7 cents helped keep our office running, and paid for administration and ensuring we remain transparent and accountable to our donors and to maintain reserves. For more information on where donations go, and where they come from, please see our 2014 Annual Report.
Can I update my contact and payment details on the website?
Unfortunately, not at this time. However we are making plans to make this functionality available in the near future.