VACCINATE THE WORLD AGAINST COVID-19
The COVID-19 pandemic has upended the lives of children and families in nearly every country across the globe. The impact of this pandemic on children is devastating. More than half a billion children are not in school. Parents and caregivers have lost their jobs. Borders have been closed.
With schools and social services closed, health systems overwhelmed, and life-saving programs on hold in an effort to contain the pandemic, hundreds of millions of children face increasing threats to their safety and well-being. They’re at greater risk of illness, exploitation, separation from parents and abuse.
For the sake of an entire generation of children, we must bring this pandemic to an end as quickly as possible. But in order to stop it anywhere, we have to stop it everywhere.
Children will not be safe until everyone is safe.
As the global leader in vaccine delivery, UNICEF has been tasked with delivering 2 BILLION doses of COVID-19 vaccines to people in low and middle income countries before the end of the year.
Vaccinating the entire world against COVID-19 will be one of the largest collective undertakings in human history. But we are up to the challenge – because we know you are right there with us.
We urgently need your help to deliver and administer the COVID-19 vaccines to as many people as possible, as quickly as possible. The Fairmount Foundation will match your donation so your gift will vaccinate TWICE as many people. Please donate now.
HOW WILL MY DONATION HELP CHILDREN?
COVID-19 poses a dangerous threat to children’s safety, health and well-being. By helping to vaccinate the world and bring the pandemic to an end you’ll protect children who are suffering from the effects of COVID-19 in these areas and more:
- More than half a billion children are still out of school due to COVID-19-related closures. This can have immediate and long-term consequences for children’s education, safety and mental health.
- Without the safety net of school and other social services, children are at risk of exploitation, neglect and abuse. In some cases, they might need to forgo their childhood in order to care for a sick parent or work to supplement the family income.
- Immunizations, treatment for severe acute malnutrition and other life-saving interventions are being put on hold or shut down due to social distancing requirements and logistical and supply challenges. If immunizations are interrupted for more than a few weeks, increasing numbers of children will die of preventable diseases such as measles.
- The growing stigmatization of groups and ethnicities associated with the disease puts children at risk of discrimination, bullying and verbal and physical abuse.
WHAT IS UNICEF’S ROLE IN COVID-19 VACCINES DELIVERY?
UNICEF is the world’s leader in vaccine delivery. Already, we provide more than 2 billion vaccines each year for nearly half of the world’s children. Our global presence and expertise in procurement make us the only organization capable of delivering COVID-19 vaccines equitably and on a global scale.
We are responsible for leading end-to-end supply chain engagement, spanning procurement, international freight, logistics and country readiness, and in-country delivery.
This includes the monumental task of delivering 2 billion doses of vaccines, along with syringes and safe disposal boxes, from the point of production to people in some of the world’s hardest-to-reach places. It’s an immense logistical challenge , especially considering the vaccines need to be kept at cold temperatures, and many target areas lack reliable power and transportation routes.
We are also training local health workers to safely administer the vaccines, as well as providing them with the necessary Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to keep themselves and their communities safe.
This is a massive task requiring a massive response. Please donate now. Your gift will be matched up to $400,000!
HOW MANY DOSES OF VACCINES WILL MY DONATION DELIVER?
The cost of delivering and administering the required two doses of COVID-19 vaccines is about $5.07 per recipient. That means a gift of $15.21 will vaccinate three people, a gift of $100 will vaccinate approximately 20 people and a gift of $1,000 will vaccinate as many as 200 people. And remember, your gift will be matched, DOUBLING your impact! Donate now.
will save lives by providing:
HOW ELSE IS UNICEF RESPONDING TO THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC?
UNICEF is in more than 190 countries, partnering with the World Health Organization (WHO) and frontline responders to keep children healthy, learning and safe, no matter who they are or where they live.
During the past year, generous people like you have helped us:
- Support more than 274 million children with distance or home-based learning
- Ship more than 149.2 million gloves, 208.9 million surgical masks, 16.4 million N95 respirators, 6.9 million gowns, 1 million goggles, 3 million face shields, 18,411 oxygen concentrators and 4.8 million molecular diagnostics to 138 countries
- Reach more than 3.1 billion people with COVID-19 prevention messaging
- Train 2.4 million healthcare providers in the detection, referral and appropriate management of COVID-19 cases, and train more than 3.4 million healthcare facility staff and community health workers in infection prevention and control, including in schools
- Reach more than 91 million people with critical water, sanitation and hygiene supplies
- Assist more than 354 thousand schools with implementing safe school protocols to help mitigate COVID-19 transmission
WHY DOES UNICEF NEED MY HELP NOW?
With several vaccines already in production or development, there’s not a moment to lose. The sooner we can deliver the vaccines to everyone, the sooner the pandemic will stop having devastating impacts on the lives of the world’s most vulnerable children.
“This is an extraordinary emergency that demands an extraordinary response, and we need all hands on deck.”
- Henrietta Fore, UNICEF Executive Director