Manager, Donor Retention
A Career Opportunity
UNICEF is the world’s farthest-reaching humanitarian organization for children. Across 190 countries and territories, and in the world’s toughest places, we work day in and day out to help children survive. To defend their rights. To keep them protected, healthy and educated. To give them a fair chance to fulfil their potential. Our work for every child relies entirely on voluntary support, including donations from generous Canadians.
Manager, Donor Retention
(Permanent; Full time; Hybrid; based in Toronto)
Utilizing a donor centric approach, the Manager, Donor Retention is responsible for developing, implementing and ongoing management of programs to improve retention & maximize revenue within the Monthly Donor Portfolio. Reporting to the Deputy Director of Individual Giving, Retention, the Manager will oversee all aspects of Monthly donor stewardship and value maximization (upgrade/cross sell) through a range of marketing strategies, channels and communication tactics.
This role will be responsible for a shared revenue target of over $20 million, and additional retention metrics.
The responsibilities will include:
Supporter Journeys & Revenue Generation - (40%)
- Create and implement comprehensive strategies to reinforce support for UNICEF by engaging donors and demonstrating the impact of their monthly giving.
- Lead all aspects of multichannel onboarding and ongoing donor journey touchpoints including developing & implementing test and learn strategies for continuous improvement.
- Enhance segmentation and customization of donor communication to increase engagement and decrease donor attrition.
- Manage internal and external partners to optimize results.
- Develop and execute comprehensive, multichannel strategies that will increase the lifetime value of monthly donors at each stage of the donor journey implementing best practices throughout.
- Lead the upgrade and cross sell strategies through multiple channels including mail, digital, telephone, and SMS.
- Work with internal partners to develop a data driven, one time gift ask strategy.
- Assess and implement best practices provided by UNICEF pledge specialists and other UNICEF NatComs, integrating online and offline channels and payment count triggered communications.
- Work in partnership with Acquisition colleagues to share learning and inform donor profiles for acquisition.
- Develop, monitor and improve saving processes in collaboration with Business Solutions, Donor Engagement and external partners.
Program Management, reporting & Data analysis (30%)
- Monitor and manage the ongoing performance of the Monthly Donor retention program to facilitate growth in LTV and in-year performance.
- Evaluate performance of monthly donor retention strategies on an ongoing basis, provide regular updates to Deputy Director, Individual Giving, Retention. Create gap closing or program expansion plans to ensure optimal program performance.
- Develop & maintain process maps outlining the communication flow and touch points for each specific donor segment/journey.
- Manage individual budget/P&L while collaborating on overall Monthly marketing budget, including maintaining and updating detailed monthly financial spreadsheets and forecasting.
- Provide annual forecast and revenue and expense calendarization of activities within annual operating plan.
- Ensure all documentation regarding legal agreements/contracts are up to date and accurate.
Strategic Planning (20%)
- Work with Deputy Director and internal & external partners to develop the annual strategy, budget and content plan for the Monthly donor program.
- Identify opportunities to increase Monthly Donor retention and long-term value.
- Innovate, implement and measure retention, stewardship and value maximization strategies with a test and learn mindset.
- Gather and implement new opportunities for donor-centric communications and marketing tactics thru regular sector monitoring, networking and collaboration with PFP and other UNICEF Natcoms.
- Use qualitative and quantitative data to plan and/or recommend ongoing optimizations on Monthly Donor retention and value maximization activities.
People and Team Management (10%)
- Provide input on the development of a long-term vision for the Pledge Retention team to 2024 and beyond.
- Develop clear roles & responsibilities, goals and work plan for Officer, Monthly Giving.
- Conduct goal setting planning as well as quarterly and year end performance reviews for direct reports as established by organization processes.
- Encourage, coach and foster opportunities for development and personal growth.
- Support employee engagement strategies as required.
Qualifications, Competencies, & Skills
- A minimum of four to five (4-5) years of relevant & progressive work experience in a marketing or fundraising role including experience with Donor/Customer retention.
- University degree or college diploma in Marketing or related field or equivalent experience.
- Strategic & Analytical thinking with experience in business planning.
- Understanding key drivers of donor loyalty & Long Term Value.
- Excellent project management skills with strong attention to detail and the ability to multi--task.
- Strong financial acumen and experience with budgeting & forecasting.
- Experience managing internal and external partners to deliver quality programs on time and on budget.
- A strong understanding of direct response metrics, analysis, and effective marketing best practices across multiple channels including Digital, Print and TM.
- Demonstrated experience planning and executing successful multichannel direct response marketing campaigns with a test and learn orientation.
- Comfort level with process design and adaptation.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Proven strong work ethic with a proactive approach to delivering results.
- Self-motivated, team-oriented individual who believes in proactive and transparent communication and frequently collaborating with peers.
- A keen interest in the work and mission of UNICEF Canada.
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge and Intermediate Excel skills.
- Experience working with bilingual programs, French language skills are considered an asset.
Salary: $63,500 to $77,500 per year.
What we offer:
UNICEF Canada strongly supports workplace wellness and offers the following benefits:
- Extended Health and Dental Benefits with Health Care Spending Account.
- Life insurance and AD&D.
- Short Term Disability (STD).
- Long Term Disability (LTD).
- Employer contributions (5%) to Group Pension plan.
- Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP).
- 2 paid personal days.
- 10 paid sick days.
- Maternity and Parental leave top-up.
- 3 weeks of annual leave (vacation time increases with time served).
- One additional day of vacation on the anniversary of each year of service, up to a maximum of 30 days.
- Staff Appreciation Days.
- Currently offering Remote work option.
- Learning and Development Opportunities.
- Discounted rate for a GoodLife membership.
For consideration, please submit your resume and cover letter, with salary expectations, to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 27, 2023. Please attach your cover letter and resume as one document, and reference “Manager, Donor Retention” clearly in the subject heading.
UNICEF Canada sincerely thanks all applicants for their expressed interest in this opportunity, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Consistent with our Child Safeguarding Policy, the successful candidate must receive clearance by a police background check, including a vulnerable sector screen.
UNICEF Canada is an inclusive workplace and is committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the requirements for the position.